05 January 2008

Just give em' that look, the death look....


From the Soldier Side: Some are going to die!
Another soldier died...and another....and another. Did you know any of them? I've lost count, but I knew a few of them...
What was my "real " job in Iraq? To keep soldiers alive. I didn't go out and pull the trigger, but I provided the info to those who did...and a few times I went with them to make sure they got it right. I'm sad to report, it was usually "catch up" and not "preventive medicine" that we dealt out. Too many times we were going after the bad guys after they got one or more of ours...
Mission Mosoul, Part 6: After I told the wicked witch what I thought, I gave her that "look". That look is something I've taken over 20 years to prefect. It's the look I use when I'm talking to a criminal...it's the look that they can't tell who or what they're dealing with... and they wonder if I just might reach across the table and.......
I thought the witch was going to start crying... maybe it would have helped her. She started to tell us about the mess hall bombing...it killed some soldiers that she knew. OK, I can understand her being upset, but not with someone who's there to help.
We discussed what hours my team would work, and the conversation was over. I went to where we were going to sleep, pulled out my Sat Phone and called Baghdad....I gave them a run down on the psychotic evil wicked witch we had to work with.
Things took a big turn for the "different" the next day...
to be cont.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought about how guys might perfect the LOOK I thought it was only a mama thing...somehow I have already filed away the whole 'don't piss D off' a while back...cool.

CI-Roller Dude said...

I never use the "look" on people I like... never.

Anonymous said...

I bet that's a look worth all 20 yrs. it took to perfect...since it gets criminals to talk and keeps soldiers alive...very good.

Glad to hear it's reserved for them...and since CI dog can smell BS or bad people...I'm sure she never gets the "look" either...even though she's not a people.