21 June 2010

I called it: "The Gunner's Dance"

(OK readers...I have to go off to some cop training this week, but I couldn't leave you all hanging.  This is Part II of a three part adventure I posted in March 08.)

From the Soldier side: For those who've been reading my blog for awhile, you know I think I'm very lucky to have worked with some real honest to God heroes while I was in Iraq.



M-1114 Up Armored Humvee-Turbo Charged with .50 Cal

Mission East Baghdad Part 2:


The "team leader" (I'll call him "W") for the convoy I needed to hitch a ride on was a one of the best leaders I knew in Iraq. He did everything he could to keep his folks alive. One of the people who worked with him on almost every mission is a man I'll call "Big John" the gunner. Now as a team leader, for a very small convoy( 3 Humvees) going into Baghdad 6 days a week, "W" could have taken the #2 vehicle "Victor" position in the convoy and had one of his security teams take the lead...but "W" would have none of that...he lead the way.

(In most IED attacks at that time, the first vehicle was usually the one hit and killed.) For my mission, I wanted to ride with "W" in his truck and have Big John as the gunner. I gave Big John a lot of his weapons training prior to going to Iraq, so I wanted to see how he took the training...he exceeded my expatations!

The morning that I was to go with these guys, I have to admit, I was a little worried. I'd only been on a few convoys so far, (and I'd been in country 4 months at this time) but "W's" teams had been out about 70 times at this point. I wasn't worried about insurgent assholes, I was worried that I wasn't as good as these guys.

For the convoy briefing, "W" said I'd ride in his truck so we could chat on the way out. I felt good about this, so I loaded my spare ammo and crap in the back seat. Big John would be standing beside me in the gun turret. My secondary job would be to take over the gun if the gunner got hit or anything....so I went over the weapon really quick with Big John. It's funny now he was the teacher... Like where the extra ammo belts were stored, current rules of engagement, sectors of fire, etc.

The brief was done and we started rolling towards the big gate on the other side of the camp...to roll out into Baghdad....I'm glad that I had eaten a big breakfast (remember one of my rules of combat: "you can't shit your pants in fear on an empty stomach!")

To be cont.

2 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Rolling through the gate into hostile territory where people want to aerate your body has to be a sphincter tightening experience regardless of how much you have ate. Hand salute to any of the guys (you included) who do it on a daily bases. I’m afraid that if I had to do it I would have to plug my sphincter with a t-shirt or something.

Study hard on your cop school. Learn better and more effective ways to administer wooden shampoos and how to write a neater, more readable citation at traffic stops. Later, Dude!

Anonymous said...

Students become good teachers themselves when they've been taught well...

Thanks for not leaving us hanging
O-<
while you're in copper training. :)