31 January 2011

Gun Wisdom, course 101

From the Cop and Soldier side:  I know many of you have heard some of these before...but worth repeating if you're in this sort of business...

Subject: gun wisdom

Those not armed are easy to slaughter

Words of wisdom for those who use firearms for defense.

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb  instead."

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

"Every time I teach a class, I discover I don't know something." ( so true!)

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If the bad guy is in range, so are YOU.

"Make my attacker advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, cause it's going to be empty."

"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin, you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."

"When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in your back pocket... If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

"Do something. It may be wrong, but do something."
Plan A- M4 Carbine.  Plan B- .45 Auto

"Shoot what's available, as long as it's available, until something else becomes available."

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

"Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

"You cannot save the planet. You may be able to save yourself and your family."

The purpose of fighting is to Win!

There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.


The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, He'll just shoot you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3 I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.' (I've been asked this quesiton also- CI Roller)
 
6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'


8. Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!

'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both.

'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.'~ Thomas Jefferson

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely

overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."--Samuel Adams

Fast misses are just about as useless as being slow.  Rounds hitting close might make the enemy shit his pants, but he can still shoot.  Smooth is fast.  Hitting first is better than shooting just fast.  CI Roller Dude

Make a good plan.  Make a better BACK UP PLAN, because Murphy is everywhere.  (CI Roller Dude)

9 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Excellant advice!

Wrexie said...

"If the bad guy is in range, so are you"... yep.
Same goes for the so called "good guy". Some people have no common sense ..even on a range. I had to fire off a few rounds so the idiot 'remembered' I was down where he was blindly firing at. Jerk. Almost ruined my favorite earring.

CI-Roller Dude said...

CP, thanks,

Wrexie, did you have a chance to check the dumbass's ear lobes?

Did he walk around breathing through his mouth?

Anonymous said...

1. Great stuff, all of it!
2. In my experience, doing something, anything, is the most important.
3. Folks tend to freeze. I did once -and somebody else had to kick my butt and get me moving.
4. Have seen it over and over.
5. Realizing something bad is happening and that you have to do something about it isn't as simple as saying the words.
6. People say, "Yeah, I get it." They are thinking you are a dumbass for even bringing the subject up.
7. Then stuff goes down and they are standing there staring.
8. Guess you have to go down that road, to get it.
9. Acting deliberately, in accord with your training is a goodie, also. Being overhasty will cause you to make mistakes -but is still better than deer in the headlights.
10. Write that book!
V/R JWest

CI-Roller Dude said...

Mr West,
I found the only way to really get soldiers or cops to not freeze in bad times is good repeated training...then if they were lucky-- to actually have some bad shit happen.....if you survive the first time...the rest get easier.

for a good book on the Beretta M9 on Kindle check:

http://www.amazon.com/Beretta-92FS-everything-manual-ebook/dp/B004IK8FQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1296574032&sr=1-1

Wrexie said...

CI, After my brain registered that I wasn't watching a cowboy movie and I really just got shot at, dang I was mad!! But the thing that REALLY frustrated me was that he was military. He should have known better.
I agree with Mr. West... write the book, Murphy really is everywhere.

Anonymous said...

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

...this one is my favorite.


I like the song you have playing. :)

Hogdayafternoon said...

"I found the only way to really get soldiers or cops to not freeze in bad times is good repeated training..."

Totally on the mark RD. Drills save lives and the only way to give them a chance to work is to `drill them in` under as much stress as can be generated outside of a real shoot out. This very factor was one of my biggest obstacles to overcome when fighting for training time with the `accountants` who wanted to take it away from me. They saw it as an abstraction; I saw it as an investment. I was doubly pissed when I found it was to allow more diversity training.

lorraine said...

Do something! It is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission is what I aways say.