11 February 2008

Why We Fight?



From the Soldier side: Over the years a few people who've never been in the military have asked me: "why did you join..for love of country, to defend freedom, to save the world?"

Nope. I joined to go out and do some really cool shit. There's not too many jobs like I have in the Army National Guard where someone could go do all the cool shit I get to do. Last weekend we flew on a C-23B Sherpa to do some training. Now, I flew on a Sherpa in Iraq and I thought it was going to fall apart...which kind of adds to the excitement. But, the one we just flew on had been fully re-furbished and it looked good. There only about 42 of them in the entire Army National Guard, (that's right "ARMY" because when the Air Force looked at them they said the Army could have them." )

They look like a flying file cabinet, but they are really handy and sturdy as hell. I'd enjoyed the flight to trianing and back... what kind of training...."Army Training Sir!"

I'll get back to the Mission at Kalsu...it will have a "Happy Ending".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have too much fun, Roller Dude!

Glad there wasn't as much
"excitement" as Iraq this trip...

Flying file cabinet, huh? How are the rivets? hmmmm...

Sergeant Grumpy said...

Damn skippy. I prefer the kind of planes you jump out of though [;)

CI-Roller Dude said...

Grumpy,
This is also a jumper...but I could never understand why anyone would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft. That's why they put wheels on them-- so you can land and get out without crushing your spine...