01 April 2011

Leadership.....

From the Cop & Soldier side: A while back, somebody suggest that I write a book on military/ law enforcement leadership. Who the hell would read it. If I did write such a book, it would not be some pretty fluff crap that foo foo cops and soft soldiers could use in a leadership course. It would be the kind of book that those who lead small teams or groups would want to read to make sure they got the job done.


In all the leadership duties I was put into under critical times, I NEVER demanded to be in charge. They way I ended up in charge and un-fucking things was, my boss put me in charge without askin’ or I jumped up and took over before things really turned to shit. (see, that’s how I’d have to write the book, so no official leadership course would allow such language.)

I never thought as either a soldier or a cop I’d become a leader. Not just a leader, but I actually lead troops in combat and hostile area. I’ve lead cops into deadly events, and lots of daily stuff that we just took as part of the job. My leadership skills are not perfect. But I worked for some really good leaders (who I took ideas from) and really shitty leaders (who I made damn sure I didn’t do anything like that did.)

The best leaders are those who put the mission and their troops first. The worst are those who put themselves first, mission second and their people last. I’m sure if you are, or ever have been a cop or in the military, you can picture what I’m talking about.

I've done some stories in the past and I plan on doing a few post on some of the best leaders I’ve worked for and some of the worst.

Standing by for comments….CI Roller Dude

7 comments:

suz said...

I'm pretty sure none of us want you to write the kind of book that the brass would buy for a class. We want you to write a book that will be passed around the locker room (yes, that was intentionally suggestive...)and recommended to and by, smart unassuming people like you. People who want to do it right.

Momma Fargo said...

Awesome! I can't wait for your posts. Great idea. Should be interesting to see your take...however, you probably think the same as I do.

Coffeypot said...

I would sure buy it. I thinl it would be a funny one, too. My new DI friend wrote a book about his second tour and his purple heart. Check him out. And in your book, are you gonna have pictures with the black bars, too?

Wrexie said...

Your book would benefit more than just military and cops...
bad leadership is rampant in the workplace as well.
And you gotta share that wit and wisdom of yours...

Looking forward to your next posts.

CI-Roller Dude said...

All,
It's easy to complain and bitch (that's every soldier's right) but I was taught: "don't complain unless you have a better idea."

I often did. The problem was in so many incidents, the person(s) trying to lead us, had a bad idea and wouldn't listen.

Anonymous said...

1. Most of your postings have a leadership angle -and are instructive.
2. Back in the late sixties, earliest seventies, the Army had commissioned most of its good NCO's.
3. The folks who filled the void weren't much good.
4. At age nineteen, was just the man to point out the failings of my superiors.
5. Did not work out well for me.
6. Early to mid-seventies, the Army RIF'd a lot of those former NCO's back into the ranks.
7. That probably did as much as anything toward getting the Army back on its feet.
8. When I tell today's troops what went on back in the day (including a big-mouthed Spec 4 running same), I can tell they don't believe me.
9. A good thing that the place has changed to that extent.
10. Not perfect. Much, much better.
11. See common sense and professionalism bleeding off your pages and enjoy every bit of it.
V/R JWest

Ashley said...

I would buy the book. I've been reading your blog since you found my old blog in 2007. I appreciate your perspective.